Learn. Practice. Play. UNIFIED.
Special Olympics New Jersey believes that for every student, the path to sports and social inclusion begins with a purposeful, meaningful and rewarding inclusive physical education experience.
Learn. Practice. Play. UNIFIED. presents skills in a scaffolding approach that is based upon ongoing observation and assessment to determine students' levels of progress and success. It includes:
- A framework for defining the characteristics of a high-quality, inclusive physical education program,
- A practical resource to assist physical education teachers and other educators in meeting the unique needs of their students with different abilities,
- Strategies for collaboration among physical education teachers, special services, general education and others to understand and meet the needs of each student, and
- Activities and drills with suggested tips, modifications and adaptations, and tools for informal assessment of progress.
Learn. Practice. Play. UNIFIED. Guide to Inclusive Physical Education and Sports Activities focuses on fundamental and sports specific skill development, and opportunities to apply those skills to game play in school and the community, for students from elementary to high school and beyond. DOWNLOAD THE FULL BOOK. Or you can download specific chapters below:
- A. Credits and Acknowledgements
- B. Introduction
- C. Part One_Learn
- D. What is Inclusive Physical Education
- E. The Laws Supporting Educational Equality
- F. Inclusive PE and Adapted PE
- G. The Individualized Education Program
- H. Best Practices for IPE
- I. Instructional Strategies for IPE
- J. Part Two_Practice
- K. Practice Introduction
- L. Practice_Fundamental Movement
- M. Manipulative Skills
- N. Balance
- O. Locomotor Skills
- P. Practice_Sports Skill Development
- Q. Soccer
- R. Basketball
- S. Track and Field
- T. Part Three_Play
- U. Part Four_Resources
If you have any questions regarding these resources, please contact Susan Colacello at firstname.lastname@example.org.