“SONJ means everyone is included no matter what their abilities, skill levels or hindrances. SONJ means growth, sometimes in small measures, sometimes in huge leaps. SONJ is sportsmanship, friendship, laughter and acceptance.”
Lenny Yanchar, SONJ Volunteer
When you volunteer with Special Olympics New Jersey you have the opportunity to make a genuine impact. Whether you volunteer your time year-round, seasonally or simply for a single-day event, it is an experience you’ll be destined to remember always. However you choose to participate, we’re so proud of the thousands of volunteers who get involved in our programs. Volunteer positions range from coaching athletes, managing registration for a program or a local or state event, contributing professional services or assisting in fundraising activities. There’s bound to be something you’ll enjoy.
First things first:
All volunteers are required to complete pre-event training and agree to the Volunteer Code of Conduct.
Volunteer Code of Conduct
As a volunteer, I agree that while serving at competitions or any other Special Olympics event, I will:
- Provide for the general welfare, health and safety of any athletes in my charge during the course of my assigned duties.
- Dress and act at all times in a manner which will be appropriate to my assigned responsibilities and a credit to myself and the athletes.
- Report any emergencies to the appropriate authorities after first taking immediate action to ensure the health and safety of the participants.
- Refrain from the consumption of alcoholic beverages and non-prescribed controlled substances during the course of my assigned duties.
- Not engage in any type of inappropriate behavior, sexual activity or physical abuse with either athletes or other volunteers.
- Not engage in inappropriate contact or relationships with athletes or other volunteers.
Volunteer Registration – Events
- SUMMER GAMES VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
- 2014 Camp Shriver Volunteer Application
- 2013-14 Fundraising Events Volunteer Registration
- 2013-14 Program Events Volunteer Registration
Whether you volunteer your time year-round, seasonally or simply for a single-day event, it is an experience you’ll be destined to remember always