The game of flag football is a fast-paced, non-contact game played between teams of five players. “Tackles” are made by pulling the flag out of the belt. All physical contact is heavily monitored for the safety of the players. Through flag football, players learn the value of teamwork and leadership.
Flag football is a fall sport where athletes train and compete from August to October. Read below for futher information on the upcoming 2021 season.
2021 League Competition
REQUIREMENT: In order to participate, individuals must be registered athletes or coaches through SONJ and must have valid medical and coach requirements completed, along with the Communicable Disease and COVID Waivers!
Dates: Sundays, September 12 to October 10, 2021
Location: Special Olympics New Jersey Sports Complex
1 Eunice Kennedy Shriver Way
Lawrenceville, New Jersey 08648
Time: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
- League Game Competition
2021 Fall Games
SONJ is excited to announce the return of Fall Games in 2021! Competition will be held on Saturday, October 23rd at Mercer County Park in West Windsor, NJ.
Additional Flag Football Information
Regular physical activity is vital for good physical, social and emotional health. While there is a risk of injury with any type of physical activity, the benefits of staying active far outweigh the risks.
You can reduce your risk of exercise injury by:
- wearing the right shoes
- using the correct equipment
- drinking water and staying hydrated
- warming up and stretching properly
- being aware of your surroundings – always exercise and compete in a safe and level area clear of any obstacles or items
- maintaining social distancing rules when necessary (stay at least six feet away from others)
Stop exercising and seek medical help if you experience symptoms such as:
- discomfort or pain
- chest pain or other pain that could indicate a heart attack, including pain in the neck and jaw, pain traveling down the arm, or pain between the shoulder blades
- shortness of breath
- a rapid or irregular heartbeat
Teams are required to compete in league play to advance to Fall Games. Individual athletes may only miss two league games MAXIMUM in order to be eligible to advance to Fall Games.
Teams must be properly uniformed with numbered shirts and shorts WITHOUT pockets.
Mouthguards are required.