Special Olympics New Jersey offers artistic gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics. Artistic gymnastics is a discipline of gymnastics involving short routines on different apparatus. Rhythmic gymnastics combines elements of ballet, gymnastics, dance, and apparatus manipulation.
Gymnastics is a summer sport where athletes train and compete from January through June.
Available Artistic Events
- Floor Exercise (men and women)
- Vaulting (men and women)
- All around (men and women)
- Pommel horse (men)
- Parallel bars (men)
- High bar (men)
- Rings (men)
- Uneven bars (women)
- Balance beam (women)
Available Artistic Levels
- Level A (Women only) – Floor exercise, vaulting, wide beam, single bar
- Levels I, II, III: Compulsory
- Level IV: Compulsory and optional
Coaches will determine in which level of competition to place their athletes. Special Olympics gymnastics athletes must be able to safely perform all skills in their chosen level of competition. Athletes must compete at the same level in all events in order to be eligible for all around competition. Optional routines may be performed only by level IV gymnasts in all events after they perform their compulsory routines.
Available Rhythmic Events
- Floor exercise (women)
- Hoop (women)
- Ball (women)
- Ribbon (women)
- Rope (women)
- All around (women)
Available Rhythmic Levels
- Levels I, II: Compulsory
- Level III: Compulsory and optional
2020 Sectional Competition
2020 State Competition
- Athletes must compete on the same level in all chosen individual events.
- Athletes may specialize by competing in one or more events at the chosen level.
- Gymnasts who do all four events at a level are considered for all around athletes.
- A level III gymnast may do one optional routine in any event as well as her compulsory in a chosen event.
Criteria for Advancement
- Athletes must compete in sectional competition in order to be eligible to compete in Summer Games.
- Athletes must participate at the same level in sectional competition and Summer Games.
- Coaches are responsible for submitting the activation list at the sectional event for those athletes who qualify to advance.
- Coaches may use additional criteria (i.e. behavior, overnight stay, medical) to evaluate the athlete for higher level competition.
- Athletes must provide their own gymnastics attire. Men should wear shorts and a t-shirt, a men’s tank step-in, or gymnastics stretch pants and white socks. Women should wear a leotard with bare legs and bare feet. Beam shoes are optional.
2019 Summer Games Results
Use the button below to download results from the 2019 Summer Games held June 7-9, 2019 at The College of New Jersey.