Our mission is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
Special Olympics New Jersey will foster inclusive communities for people with and without intellectual disabilities through innovative sport, health, wellness and leadership opportunities for Special Olympics athletes, their families and society as a whole.
Our Core Values
Our mission and vision are supported by the core values that shape every decision we make. By sticking to these values, we are guaranteeing the continued success of Special Olympics New Jersey.
- Innovation – To promote an organizational culture that seeks new ideas and advances the mission of Special Olympics
- Excellence – The standard measure for superior execution and outcome of every dimension of activity and service conducted by Special Olympics New Jersey
- Integrity – To execute the mission of Special Olympics with a commitment to transparency, honesty and the highest ethical conduct
- Respect – A commitment to the value of each and every individual and an acknowledgment of their unique talents and achievements
- Inclusion – To connect people of all abilities by creating opportunities with a purpose of building lasting friendships, rooted in mutual respect and acceptance
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are at the heart of all that we do at Special Olympics New Jersey as we strive to promote unity and create a world where everyone belongs.
We respect and celebrate all abilities, backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. We appreciate that greater diversity and inclusion creates a strong, innovative organization that values each individual as we develop a global community.
Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Statement
Environmental, social, and governance (ESG) principles are central to Special Olympics New Jersey’s
(SONJ’s) mission and who we are. In fact, SONJ was founded based on these principles in 1968 when it started sports programming for individuals with intellectual disabilities. So ESG principles are not new for SONJ. Click link below for the full statement.