Healthy Hearing is the audiological exam designed to assess the prevalence of possible hearing loss among Special Olympics athletes. These screenings will identify athletes who need audiological evaluations to determine if a hearing loss exists and requires treatment.
Why Healthy Hearing?
Many athlete hearing problems go undetected or even untreated. Hearing loss has a profound impact on an individual’s ability to communicate which trickles into all aspects of the lives of those affected by hearing loss.Healthy Hearing Fact Sheet
Criteria for Clinical Director
Individuals interested in acting as a clinical director for Healthy Hearing events should have the following qualifications/skills:
- Properly certified Audiologist or Speech-Language Pathologist
- Ability to work with local program to determine event opportunities
- Recruit and train volunteer health professionals
- Obtain equipment, supplies and athlete giveaways
- Assist local program in completing Healthy Athletes‘ Capacity Grant Application
- Set up and supervise Healthy Athletes venue
Clinical Director: Joan Besing, Janet Koehnke, Tara LaScola, Karen McQuaide, Faith Mogilia
If you are interested in becoming involved in our Healthy Hearing screening events, please contact Katelyn Sheridan at email@example.com.