Figure skating is a sport in which individuals, pairs, or groups perform spins, jumps, footwork and other intricate and challenging moves on ice skates. Figure skaters compete at various levels from beginner up to the Olympic level (senior). Figure skating is a winter sport where athletes train and compete from September through January with the hopes of competing at the state Winter Games.
Local Training Programs should visit our winter competition page to register athletes for Winter Games. Read below for futher information on the upcoming 2022 season.
2022 Available Events
Will be available at the time of registration.
2022 Winter Games
SONJ is excited to announce the return of Winter Games in 2022! Competition will be held at Codey Arena in West Orange, NJ at a TBD date in February.
Additional Figure Skating InformationFigure Skating Coaching Guide
Regular physical activity is vital for good physical, social and emotional health. While there is a risk of injury with any type of physical activity, the benefits of staying active far outweigh the risks.
You can reduce your risk of exercise injury by:
- wearing the right shoes
- using the correct equipment
- drinking water and staying hydrated
- warming up and stretching properly
- being aware of your surroundings – always exercise and compete in a safe and level area clear of any obstacles or items
- maintaining social distancing rules when necessary (stay at least six feet away from others)
Stop exercising and seek medical help if you experience symptoms such as:
- discomfort or pain
- chest pain or other pain that could indicate a heart attack, including pain in the neck and jaw, pain traveling down the arm, or pain between the shoulder blades
- shortness of breath
- a rapid or irregular heartbeat
Athletes may compete in two events and one relay. In order for an athlete to be considered for novice-level competition, the athlete must be able to change direction, fall and get up unassisted, and attempt to stop on his/her own.
• Athletes must wear winter competition-appropriate attire. Athletes will not be permitted to
compete in jeans.
• Lunch will be served on a 4:1 athlete to coach ratio at Winter Games.