Floor hockey is a family of indoor hockey games, usually in the style of ice hockey, that are played on flat floor surfaces, such as a basketball court. Players on each team attempt to shoot a ball or puck into a goal using sticks specifically designed for this type of hockey.
Floor hockey is a winter sports where athletes train and compete from October through January with the hopes of competing at the state Winter Games.
Local Training Programs should visit our winter competition page to register athletes for Winter Games. Read below for further information on the upcoming 2021-2022 season.
2022 League Competition
- Dates: Saturdays November 6, 2021 – December, 18, 2021
- Location (11/6, 11/13, 11/27, 12/11, 12/18): SONJ Sports Complex, Lawrenceville, NJ
- Location (11/20, 12/4): Burlington City High School, Burlington City, NJ
- Registration will open in the fall season.
2022 Winter Games
Special Olympics New Jersey has made the difficult decision to CANCEL the Winter Games Floor Hockey tournament at Stockton University on January 8-9. This was not an easy decision, but we have prioritized the community’s health and safety from the beginning of the pandemic and will continue to do so now as we navigate this ever-changing situation.
Additional Floor Hockey Information
Regular physical activity is vital for good physical, social and emotional health. While there is a risk of injury with any type of physical activity, the benefits of staying active far outweigh the risks.
You can reduce your risk of exercise injury by:
- wearing the right shoes
- using the correct equipment
- drinking water and staying hydrated
- warming up and stretching properly
- being aware of your surroundings – always exercise and compete in a safe and level area clear of any obstacles or items
- maintaining social distancing rules when necessary (stay at least six feet away from others)
Stop exercising and seek medical help if you experience symptoms such as:
- discomfort or pain
- chest pain or other pain that could indicate a heart attack, including pain in the neck and jaw, pain traveling down the arm, or pain between the shoulder blades
- shortness of breath
- a rapid or irregular heartbeat
Teams are required to compete in league play to advance to Winter Games. Individual athletes may only miss two league games maximum in order to be eligible to advance to Winter Games.
• Teams must be properly uniformed with numbered shirts, shorts, and sneakers. Helmets, shin
pads and protective gloves are required.
• Lunch will not be served at league dates. Lunch will be served on a 4:1 athlete to coach ratio
at Winter Games.