In order to protect athletes and Unified partners participating in Special Olympics sports, a nationwide Concussion Awareness and Safety Recognition Policy was established in 2014. The primary focus of this policy is the well-being of Special Olympics participants. Therefore, in addition to offering free concussion baseline assessments to participants, we also offer free concussion education.
Special Olympics New Jersey and ImPACT (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) created an educational webinar geared towards athletes, families and coaches. The webinar teaches the following:
- Definition of a concussion
- Signs and symptoms of a concussion
- Treatment protocols
- Return to play requirement
- Hazard of an untreated concussion
Since coaches have the closest access to athletes during training and competition, this webinar is a part of the requirements to coach. Coaches are required to take this course every three years.
Accessing the Concussion Education Webinar
Follow the directions below in order to access the ImPACT Concussion Training webinar.
- Download the instructions on accessing the ImPACT Concussion Training Webinar.
- Visit the ImPACT Applications site and follow your downloaded instructions as you complete “SONJ: Traumatic Brain Injury: Concussions and ImPACT IDD.”
- Watch the video and complete the quiz to receive certification of completion.
For more information on concussions, please contact Katelyn Sheridan at email@example.com.