Volleyball is attractive to all types of players, from competitive to recreational, young and old. To play, volleyball players need to acquire a few basic skills, learn a few rules, utilize very little equipment, and play the game almost anywhere. The aim of the sport is to score more points by hitting the ball with the hands and sending it over the net to the opponent’s court.
Special Olympics volleyball is a winter sport where athletes train and compete from October through January with the hopes of competing at the state Winter Games.
Local Training Programs should visit our winter competition page to register athletes for Winter Games. Read below for further information on the upcoming 2021-2022 season.
2022 League Competition
- Dates: Sundays: November 7 – December 19, 2021
- Location: Special Olympics New Jersey Sports Complex, Lawrenceville, NJ
- Registration will be available during the fall season.
2022 Winter Games
Special Olympics New Jersey has made the difficult decision to CANCEL the Winter Games Volleyball tournament at Galloway Township Middle School on January 8-9. This was not an easy decision, but we have prioritized the community’s health and safety from the beginning of the pandemic and will continue to do so now as we navigate this ever-changing situation.
Additional Volleyball Information
Regular physical activity is vital for good physical, social and emotional health. While there is a risk of injury with any type of physical activity, the benefits of staying active far outweigh the risks.
You can reduce your risk of exercise injury by:
- wearing the right shoes
- using the correct equipment
- drinking water and staying hydrated
- warming up and stretching properly
- being aware of your surroundings – always exercise and compete in a safe and level area clear of any obstacles or items
- maintaining social distancing rules when necessary (stay at least six feet away from others)
Stop exercising and seek medical help if you experience symptoms such as:
- discomfort or pain
- chest pain or other pain that could indicate a heart attack, including pain in the neck and jaw, pain traveling down the arm, or pain between the shoulder blades
- shortness of breath
- a rapid or irregular heartbeat
Teams are required to compete in league play to advance to Winter Games. Individual athletes
may only miss two league games maximum in order to be eligible to advance to Winter Games.
• Teams must be properly uniformed with numbered shirts, shorts and sneakers.
• Lunch will not be served at league dates. Teams may choose to bring their own snack and
beverages. Lunch will be served on a 4:1 athlete to coach ratio at the state tournament.
2020 Winter Games Results
Results will be available following the conclusion of the 2020 Winter Games.