Between competitions and fundraising events, there are hundreds of opportunities for individuals, families, groups and organizations to give their time every year. Event volunteers assist with general volunteer needs for sports competitions and fundraising events.
Minimum age: 14 years old (unless otherwise noted)
Event volunteer requirements:
Competition volunteers assist with sports competitions throughout the state of New Jersey. Volunteer tasks include scorekeeping, timing events, athlete and volunteer registration and assist with awards ceremonies.
Winter Sports Season: November - February
- Alpine Skiing, Cross Country Skiing, Figure Skating, Floor Hockey, Snowboarding, Snowshoeing, Speed Skating, and Volleyball
Spring Sports Season: February - April
- Basketball and Bowling
Summer Sports Season: April - June
- Bocce, Gymnastics, Powerlifting, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, and Track & Field
Fall Sports Season - September - November
- Cycling, Equestrian, Flag Football, Golf, Soccer, and Triathlon
For questions on registering for a local sports competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteering or participating at fundraising events is a great way to contribute to our movement.
- Polar Plunge – held in January and February
- Lincoln Tunnel Challenge 5K – held in May
- One More Tri – held in September
- Bike SONJ: Ride for Inclusion – held in October
- Jingle All the Way – held in December
To participate in a fundraiser and/or donate to Special Olympics New Jersey, please visit our events page. For questions on volunteering at a local fundraiser, please email email@example.com.
Camp Shriver was started by Special Olympics founder, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, as a backyard summer camp five years before the Special Olympics movement began. Special Olympics New Jersey hosts Camp Shriver annually and is an 8-week camp that runs from June-August. Camp Shriver is about fitness, wellness, sports, fun, and learning.
Volunteers must be at least 16 years old and commit to a complete week of summer camp. For additional questions regarding Camp Shriver, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Healthy Athletes is a Special Olympics program that provides free health screenings to Special Olympics athletes. Screenings are offered in eight different health areas and recruits the following volunteers for each healthy athlete discipline:
- Fit Feet – athletic trainers, podiatrists, physiotherapists, and students.
- FUNFitness – physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, occupational therapists, occupational therapist assistants, and students.
- Healthy Promotions – registered nurses, professors of health sciences, registered dietitians, and students in public health, nutrition, and nursing.
- Healthy Hearing – audiologists, speech and hearing therapists, ENT specialists, and students.
- Medfest – physicians, registered nurses, and medical students.
- Opening Eyes – optometrists, opticians, ophthalmology residents, ophthalmic technician, ophthalmologists, optometry students, Lion/Leo club members, and students.
- Special Smiles – dentists, dental assistants, dental hygienists, and students.
- Strong Minds – licensed mental health professionals, registered nurses, yoga instructors and students in public health, social work, and psychology.
Healthy Athletes volunteers must be preapproved for volunteer opportunities. For more information on registering for a healthy athlete event, please email email@example.com.