Fit Feet was developed through a collaboration between Special Olympics and the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine.
Why Fit Feet?
Many Special Olympics athletes suffer from foot and ankle pain or deformities that impair their performance. Many times athletes are not fitted with the best shoes and socks for their particular sport. During Special Olympics competitions, volunteer healthcare professionals examine athletes’ feet and ankles for deformities, as well as check for proper shoes and socks.Fit Feet Fact Sheet
Criteria for Clinical Director
Individuals interested in acting as a clinical director for Fit Feet events should have the following qualifications/skills:
- Be a DPM (doctor of podiatric medicine) or have similar training
- Ability to work with local program to determine event opportunities
- Recruit and train volunteer health professionals
- Obtain equipment, supplies and athlete giveaways
- Assist local program in completing Healthy Athletes‘ Capacity Grant Application
- Set up and supervise Healthy Athletes venue
Clinical Director: Rob Conenello, DPM
If you are interested in becoming involved in our Fit Feet screening events, please contact Katelyn Sheridan at firstname.lastname@example.org.