Special Smiles® is the dental health discipline and provides athletes the chance to take charge of their oral health.
How Does Special Smiles Help?
Special Smiles offers comprehensive oral health care information, free dental screenings and instructions on proper brushing and flossing techniques. Special Olympics athletes also receive important supplies like toothpaste, toothbrushes and fluoride varnish.
Criteria for Clinical Director
Individuals interested in acting as a clinical director for Special Smiles events should have the following qualifications/skills:
- Licensed dentist or dental hygienist
- Ability to work with local program to determine event opportunities
- Recruit and train volunteer health professionals
- Obtain equipment, supplies and athlete giveaways
- Assist local program in completing Healthy Athletes‘ Capacity Grant Application
- Set up and supervise Healthy Athletes venue
- Collect and report data
- Program evaluation
Clinical Directors: Jim Delahanty
If you are interested in becoming involved in our Health Promotion screening events, please contact Katelyn Sheridan at firstname.lastname@example.org.