In Special Olympics, powerlifting is much more than deadlift, squat or bench press. Training, determination and attitude are the key factors that define the balance between a successful or failed attempt.
Powerlifting is a summer sport where athletes train and compete from January through June.
- Combination: Benchpress and deadlift
- Combination: Benchpress, deadlift and squat
Athletes must be 14 years or older to participate in powerlifting competition.
Criteria for Advancement
- Athletes must compete in sectional competition in order to be eligible to compete in Summer Games.
- Coaches are responsible for submitting the activation list at the sectional event for those athletes who qualify to advance.
- Coaches may use additional criteria (i.e. behavior, overnight stay, medical) to evaluate the athlete for higher level competition.
- Athletes should provide their own belt.