Swimming, also known as aquatics, is one of the most popular sports in the world. Aquatics covers a great variety of swimming skills, from short sprints to longer events and relays.
Special Olympics swimming is a summer sport where athletes train and compete from January through June.
Available Events and Distances
- Backstroke – 25M, 50M, 100M
- Breaststroke – 25M, 50M, 100M
- Butterfly – 25M, 50M, 100M
- Freestyle – 25M, 50M, 100M, 200M, 400M
- Individual Medley – 100M, 200M
- Freestyle Relay – 4x25M, 4x50M
- Medley Relay – 4x25M, 4x50M
Athletes may compete in two individual events and two relay events.
Criteria for Advancement
Athletes must compete in both area and sectional competition in order to be eligible to compete in Summer Games.
- Coaches may use additional criteria to evaluate athletes for higher level competition.
- Athletes must provide their own swimwear, bathing cap and goggles.