All Special Olympics eligible athletes can play Unified Sports. As with all Special Olympics training and competition programs, athletes (students with disabilities) must have a valid medical on file before participating in school-based Unified Sports. The SONJ medical also serves as the registration form for Special Olympics New Jersey. Complete the SONJ Participation Packet.

Athletes who are still enrolled in high school and would like to participate in a Unified Sports competition may turn in the Interscholastic Unified Sports Participation Packet instead of the SONJ Participation Packet. The Interscholastic Unified Sports packet includes the NJ Preparticipation Physical Evaluation form along with health history and release forms from Special Olympics New Jersey.

When completed, all of these forms should initially be turned into the athlete’s coach. It is strongly recommended that parents/guardians keep a copy of all forms for their records.

Unified Partner Registration

Unified Partners are students without intellectual disabilities who play alongside Special Olympics athletes on sports teams for inclusive training, recreation, and competition.

All Unified Partners are required to register with Special Olympics New Jersey prior to participating in Unified Sports competitions.

High School Unified Partners-NJSIAA

High school Unified Partners who would like to participate in an NJSIAA interscholastic Unified Sports competition must meet all eligibility requirements outlined by the NJSIAA and his or her school district.

Contact your high school Athletic Director for more information on how to register for NJSIAA Interscholastic Unified Sports teams.

High School Unified Partners-Play Unified Club Tournament

High school Unified Partners who are part of a Unified Sports club at school that plans to compete in a Unified Cup Championship tournament (formerly Shriver Cups) must complete the Interscholastic Unified Sports Participation Packet. The packet includes the NJ Preparticiation Physical Evaluation form along with health history and release forms from Special Olympics New Jersey.

If you would like more information about registering as an athlete or partner for high school or college Unified Sports, please contact Jess Stevenson at